The suffering of Jesus in the gospel was designed to save us from eternal suffering.
A sermon preached on 11-30-17
Listen on podcast here.
Read 1 Peter 2:18-25.
The Purpose of Suffering: God’s Glory
What is God’s purpose in suffering? What does it do? This is one of those questions that we may be able to grasp the answer for and intellectually understand it, but to actually see it or live it, is another thing. In 2015, ISIS members were heavily attacking and threatening Christians spread all throughout the Middle East.
Continue reading “Suffering and the Son”
The issue is not physical sight or intellect, but that of our blindness to Jesus’ value.
A sermon preached on 1 Peter 1:8-12
The Beauty of Faith
A well-known atheist and author, Richard Dawkins (author of The God Delusion), was interviewed by CNN about his views on science and religion. He was asked the question, “If you were to die and meet God, what would you say to him?”
- Dawkins says this, “Which god are you? Are you Zeus, Mithras, or Yahweh? And why did you take such great pains to conceal yourself?”
I think some of us have maybe heard the remark that if God would show himself to me, I would believe him, or convert to him, etc. It almost seems like Dawkins is saying something like that.
Continue reading “Seeing Jesus”
God is most glorified in our lives when we exercise our complete decency upon God.
A sermon preached on Psalm 123
The Majesty of God
One of the most wonderful truths that all of us need to not only know, but spend all of our days meditating on and dwelling on is the majesty or kingly rule of God above the universe. He reigns far above the heavens, and further still. We are so low and God is so, so high and above us all.
On Thursday April 27, 2017, the spacecraft called Cassini sent by NASA will be diving between Saturn and its rings.
- Launched: October 15, 1997 from Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- Size: 2.2 million pounds, 22 feet high, 13.1 feet wide.
- Distance to travel: 2.2 billion miles (over 10 times distance between Earth and Sun).
- Arrival Date: July 1, 2004.
- Gap between Saturn and Rings: 1,500 miles.
- Cost of the mission: 1.422 billion dollars.
Continue reading “God’s Independency, Our Dependency”
Jesus Christ is the hero – not our strong wills or good thinking.
A sermon preached on Matthew 19:16-26
Prerequisites to Enter Heaven
A huge survey done in 2016 by LifeWay and Ligonier Ministries gives these results about theology in America:
- 64% of Americans believe that God accepts the worship of all religions, 12% unsure.
- 60% say that everyone eventually goes to heaven.
- An amazing 74% of Americans believe that the smallest sins do not deserve hell.
- Most Americans (77%) believe that people contribute to their salvation.
- Over half of Americans at 52% believe that good deeds help them earn in a spot in heaven.
- And, 60% agree that Jesus’ death on the cross is the only sacrifice that could remove penalty of their sin.
In verses 16 and 17 we see this conversation about how to get to heaven that Jesus discusses with the rich young ruler. He approaches Jesus and asks him what he has to do in order to have eternal life.
Continue reading “Salvation is of God”